Sunday, November 9, 2008

Let's Talk Christmas

So Christmas will be here before you know it. I am very blessed to day that our children have everything they could ever need or want. They are not super spoiled but they definetly have more than I did as a child.

I just cleaned out the toy boxes of 7 bags of toys to give to charity. Little Richie come out with why you giving my toys away? I tell him he has too many and other kids need toys too. Gianna thinks every time I clean them out they get new ones. I don't think so little lady.

So since Christmas is coming instead of many toys. I told them they could have one each. Well of course Richie points to everything and I mean everything he sees on television. Gianna too points to way too many. Thankfully Nicholas can't speak yet or else I am sure he would be pointing too.

So how do you do it at your house. I wish Christmas was not so materialistic. I do teach them it's about God we attend church. But of course they are little still, and expect or want gifts.

So do you buy lot's of little stuff or just one good gift?

3 comments:

HaYn Mama said...

This is a tough time of year for me. It is such a materialistic time but at the same time I only feed that because I love seeing the looks on their faces when they get something they've been wanting for awhile. This year we are just getting them gifts for their stockings from Santa. . . I think we'll just keep it that way from now on and my bro is buying the boys a Wii so we're getting a few accessories to go with it and that is it. In fact I think I'm done with Christmas. I'm going to do the same with my boys this week. . . clean out the toy box!

Rachel said...

This is a struggle in our society, isn't it. I hate the materialism that accompanies the holiday. I'm interested to hear how others keep it in check, I'm trying to find that balance for our home too.

tiburon said...

We struggle too. This year we are going to focus more on service instead of gifts. We are so bad about instant gratification during the year. We really don't need more stuff!